Thursday, July 30, 2015

Homecoming

I just got off the phone with Dana.  She and Eila are getting ready to drive to the Detroit airport.  [Actually, Dana is getting ready.  Eila's asleep on the couch.]  I am going drive up to Portland to pick them up after work tonight, and then tomorrow we'll have our big meeting with the doctors at OHSU.  We had a rough start to the week, but Dana and I are doing a lot better now that we had some time to digest things.  We are in a pretty good mood and ready to move on with what we have to do.  Thanks to everyone who has reached out to us over the past few days.  It means a great deal.

I'm excited to have the family back together again.  Annikka, who has been without her mother and sister for about a month (!), will finally get to see Dana and Eila tomorrow afternoon. We are going to show up for a play that Annikka has been preparing for all week at art camp.  Should be quite a scene. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I read an article the other day about "myths of cancer" and the #1 myth was "that you don't have cancer." The point was that EVERYONE has cancer cells in their system and that our bodies know what to do with such cells. It's just that those of us who are diagnosed as "having cancer" have had too many cells build up for the system to handle alone, so help is called for to cut down the accumulation and the count. Ultimately, it is the body — not the surgery, chemo, or radiation — that strives for health and keeps cancer cells in check. Medical tools merely reduce the number of cells that the body has to deal with so the body can more easily do its job. I've heard this before from other medical sources, and it was reassuring to me to remember when reading about some cells maybe "spilling." Obviously, the fewer the cancer cells in the system the better, but I think it's good to keep in mind the wondrous capability of the human body to heal, adapt, and overcome challenges from within and without. Prayers abound for your little trooper and her vibrant, resilient being.