Thursday, September 22, 2011

Second Chemo

We're back from Portland where Eila received her second round of chemotherapy today. Eila is now playing comfortably here at home.

This was last time we used an IV (next week it's the portacath). That's good, because Eila is fighting the IV nurses harder and harder each week. (Good thing she's tiny.) Like last week, administration of the drug (Vincristine only this week) went well and was straightforward.

We also got the final piece of the pathology puzzle today. Apparently a small percent of Wilms Tumors are caused by a genetic defect that the doctors describe as a "loss of heterozygosity" (LOH). As I understand it, in patients with LOH the cancer cells are somewhat harder to kill, and the chances of relapse are higher. A positive LOH test also means a more aggressive chemotherapy treatment. Anyway, Eila's tests for LOH are back, and she does not have LOH. Like the rest of Eila's pathology results, this is good news.

5 comments:

Kyran said...

Yay for good news!

Unknown said...

So glad this was the last treatment with fighting the IV. Hope this next week's goes much easier with the port. Thanks, also, for sharing the good news about the further path. report.

Unknown said...

The 'unknown' comment was me, Pr. Netsie. Thought it would identify me. Sorry.

BKR said...

Oh my Joel, Dana, Annikka and, most of all, Miss Eila - I can't believe it. I had no idea, and I am so, so sorry. I cannot even begin to fathom what you are enduring. Sounds like you all are doing amazingly well. And I am glad for the good news on this small bit of the LOH and the second round of chemo. We are sending you prayers and good thoughts and lots and lots of love. You all are pretty incredible.
xoxo,
Bree and family

Hanne Vaughn said...

Thank god for this news. It's a small relief, but any good news must feel great. Huge hugs to Eila and Annikka and, of course, the two of you.