Friday, September 2, 2011

Friday Afternoon: Out of Surgery

Eila arrived back in our room about a half an hour ago. She's sleeping peacefully, and although she has a few more tubes hanging on her, she remains cute as ever.

From Sept/Oct 2011

According to the surgeons, the operation was a success. They think it's very likely that the tumor is what's called a Wilms tumor. They remain optimistic because it had not really spread outside the kidney, and they were able to take out everything of concern. Of course, we still have to wait for the pathology results (which could take another week) for an official diagnosis, but this all sounds promising.

So we're still not sure what's ahead for Eila. Depending on the pathology results, it sounds like we could be looking at anything from a few visits with OHSU's oncology doctors, to radiation therapy, to chemotherapy, to a combination of all that and more. Hopefully we'll know much more in this regard in a week or so.

Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers on this difficult day; we feel very blessed to have such a wonderful network of family and friends. We're happy to have this part behind us, and are working on preparing ourselves for whatever lies ahead.

3 comments:

Josie said...

Dear Dana and Joel, we just read your updated blog and we are all happy to hear she is out of surgery and on her way to recovery. Our best wishes for all of you as always let us know if we can do anything for you.

Anonymous said...

"Children whose tumor has not spread have a 90% cure rate with appropriate treatment." Well if you have to deal with hearing 'the c-word,' at least this one seems promising. I'm so sorry you have to be going through all of this. I'm still hoping that pathology calls it a harmless cyst, but barring that, I'm wishing for the best treatment out there - which it sounds like you're getting! I know I'm 'random sister of a friend' 2000 miles away, but I really want to help you if there is anything you need as things unfold with sweet Eila. The best treatment will be the love of a wonderful family, which she has in spades.
All the best-
Elicia

ewhiteman said...

My thoughts are with all of you. Thank you for keeping us all updated with your blog. Doernbecher's is an incredible hospital and little Eila is in great hands. I'm hoping for a quick recovery for her and peace of mind for you and Dana.

Emily