Thursday, March 8, 2012

PHX - pt I

From Mar/Apr2012

When Eila's chemo appointments ended, we thought we could use a warm weather vacation. We decided a long weekend in Phoenix would fill the bill. Although it all started at 4:30 am (early flight out of Eugene), the girls were really good; I think they were as ready for a vacation as we were. We had a long layover in Seattle, but found a kid's play area to help pass the time.

From Mar/Apr2012

By the time we finally made it to the resort in Phoenix, the girls were exhausted.

From Mar/Apr2012

From Mar/Apr2012


On Friday, we went to the Phoenix zoo

From Mar/Apr2012

From Mar/Apr2012

where we got to feed the giraffes.



Then we went back to the resort for swimming.

Saturday was opening day of Spring Training. Joel's favorite team, the Cleveland Indians, trains in the Cactus League in Phoenix, so we went to see batting practice. I was amazed by how kid friendly it was (if you ignore the fact that a ball could fly over the big fence and bonk your child on the head). Eila loved walking up and down the bleachers, and throwing her baseball around.

From Mar/Apr2012

Annikka and Joel walked around the outfield fence and three players gave Annikka baseballs (Jeremy Accardo, Robinson Tejada,& Shin-Soo Choo). Then we were able to get players to autograph 3 balls, too. Annikka thought it was really fun.

From Mar/Apr2012

Here's Joel and Annikka talking to Travis Hafner.

From Mar/Apr2012


Then we went back to the resort for swimming.

3 comments:

Adventures with the Millam's said...

One of my former students, Hector Ambriz, is a pitcher for Cleveland.
It looks like you guys had fun-- next year we should meet up! I want to go see the Angels (and Cleveland). :)

Aaron said...

So was Joel star-struck or did he keep his cool?

Joel said...

Didn't keep my cool. For instance, I called David Huff (P) "Mr. Huff" when I asked for his autograph, which is stupid because he's about eight years younger than me. I did a bunch of things like that.