Saturday, March 31, 2012

First Time Down the Mountain ... ALONE!!!

It's been a fun few days in Central Oregon, where we've been staying in Sisters with my parents and my sister's family. Yesterday, Annikka and I went up to Mt. Bachelor. I skied in the concrete soup, and Annikka took a lesson. At the end of the lesson, the instructor implied that Annikka might be ready to go down a real hill without riding under my arms.

So today Annikka and I trekked back over to the mountain to take some runs on the free chair lift. (You'll recall our last trip to this lift.) Annikka was adamant the entire car ride up to the mountain that she would not be going down the without my help. But I held out hope.

We took four runs down the hill with her under my arms. By the fourth run, Annikka had somehow realized that she could actually get down at least part of the hill on her own. So on the next two runs I took her down the steep part of the run under my arms, but then we stopped in the middle (the flatter part of the hill), and from there she got down the hill on her own (with me following closely).

On the way up the chair lift Annikka announced that she was ready to go down the ENTIRE hill (even the steep part) on her own. Here's how it went:



All in all, we went down the hill four times assisted, and probably another five to seven times unassisted. Several times, Annikka said, "Isn't skiing fun, daddy? It's SO much fun!"

I am so proud of her; I'm proud that she has learned so much on the mountain this year, and I'm proud that she took a leap and went down the hill. What a fun day!

1 comment:

Dana said...

I am still so amazed by this video - she is more brave and coordinated than me. Good job, Annikka!